With the mini dessert trend still going strong, we thought we’d share this delicious banana caramel cream recipe we came across on Glory’s blog, Glorious Treats. With vanilla cream, caramel, bananas and graham cracker crumbs, what’s not to love? This would be amazing served as part of a dessert table at any style of wedding.
- Bananas ( two for six mini desserts)
- Dulce de leche or good quality caramel sauce
- Fresh whipped creme (For 6: 3/4 cup heavy cream and 1 tablespoon powdered sugar)
- Graham cracker crumble (recipe below)
- Vanilla Pastry Cream (recipe below)
Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with a fork to combine. Set aside.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually pour in milk, while whisking to make a smooth mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring almost constantly until the mixture thickens and boils. Continue to cook and stir one minute.
- Pour several tablespoons of the hot mixture into the bowl with the eggs and immediately stir well. Pour warm egg mixture into the pan with the rest of the hot milk mixture. Return to a slow boil and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Set aside to cool. When the pan has cooled, place in the fridge to fully cool. If desired, lay a piece of plastic wrap on the top surface of the pastry cream to prevent a skin from forming.
Graham Cracker Crumble
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 10 full sized crackers)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Crush crackers in a large ziplock bag. Pour crumbs, sugar, and melted butter into a bowl and stir until fully combined. Pour into a 9 x 13 casserole dish and press into an even layer. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 -12 minutes, until light brown. Allow to cool.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumble into individual serving dishes. Use a small glass to press the crumble into a firm layer.
- Add a layer of pastry cream into each dish. For easy assembly, fill a large ziplock bag with the pastry cream, snip off the corner and fill the dishes from this bag.
- Add a few slices of banana.
- Top banana with a layer of whipped cream.
- Add some graham cracker crumble and a drizzle of caramel ( you can use the same plastic bag method as above to drizzle)
- Repeat layers 2 – 5
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 hours. Top with a slice of fresh banana just before serving.
* This recipe is for 6 mini desserts. There will be pastry cream and graham cracker crumble left over with enough to make 4 to 6 more mini desserts. To make more, double the amount of whipped cream and add more bananas.
Glory’s step by step photos ~
Press graham crackers into individual dishes
Add a layer of pastry cream and bananas
Top bananas with whipped cream, graham cracker crumble and caramel. Repeat layers.